FILM AND EDITING INSPIRATION AND TECHNIQUES

For the narrative, technical and editing style we looked into a few music videos to take some inspiration for how we would like our final video outcome. The first video I took a look at was 'Lone - Backtail Was Heavy'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV-a4Np33L8&list=PLIGKH6GYCcuJq1BHsqAruvYBwgT49s9dK&index=2&t=63s  

There were a few aspects which I thought would work well for my project; there were many over the shoulder shots following one individual on a journey through a city. This is a filming style which I would like to try and replicate parts of. For our narrative of our project, we have storyboarded a character on her way to her destination through the city of Sheffield, and we want to film this and portray her journey to the audience. Using over the shoulder shots can connote that the audience is following the protagonist, bringing them closer together creating empathy. This music video also incorporated many panning shots, something I would also like to do in my project, mainly to establish the setting. As well as this, the focus of the camera is solely on the central protagonist with the background significantly blurred, again another technical signifier I would like to replicate. 

Another music video we took a look at was 'Mr. Mitch - Priority ft. P Money' 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmAEFieyoTY&list=PLIGKH6GYCcuJq1BHsqAruvYBwgT49s9dK&index=72&t=0s

This video's editing style in terms of effects is something that I think our final piece will be inspired by. We were thinking about possibly have part of our video in black and white, particularly the first half where there is a voiceover as the character is walking through the city of Sheffield, to try and connote the difficulty of fitting in which the protagonist is going through and the negativity in the world. We then thought that as the main character meets up with her friends to escape through music and dance, the track can play as the video becomes fully coloured. Another aspect of this video which I would definitely like to replicate was the grain / old film effect, as Northern Soul was a 60s movement, I think the best way to portray this would be by using editing styles which make the film look like it was from that era.

Other techniques and styles that we looked into were cropping the video so the aspect ratio was a square, again to make the video look older. Panning from the central protagonist to the view of Sheffield to establish the setting. Panning up from the feet to identify dress code.

Comments